The Web & Graphic Designer creates and edits a variety of print and digital publications that support University Residences’ services and programs.
The Web & Graphic Designer designs and implements content for the ResTek and University Residences websites, and participates in the ongoing alignment of these two sites with WWU’s brand. The designer works with ResTek colleagues and content creators and users to create interfaces that offer the best user experience possible.
Design work includes creating, and editing a variety of print publications, using existing graphics and branding, with opportunities to extend the brand. The Web & Graphic Designer ensures the integrity, consistency, and accuracy of the graphical content.
Join Our Team
Work with colleagues from various units in University Residences, including:
- Web Designers
- Software Developers
- Server Administrators
- Web Systems Developer
- Communications Consultant
- Content Owners
Are You qualified?
- Comfortable with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Solid knowledge of HTML and CSS
- An eye for modern design aesthetics in both print & web
- Ability to learn new and emerging technologies independently
- Excellent attention to detail
- Highly motivated, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, both efficiently and courteously
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet set deadlines
Bonus Points for experience with:
- Publication design using Adobe InDesign or similar software
- Modern web UX (User Experience) design for desktop and mobile environments
- WordPress or other Content Management System (CMS) software
- Technical writing
- Working knowledge of accessibility standards (e.g. WCAG 2.0)
- Living on-campus
- Website re-write: Oversight and vision for the maintainability of the graphical components of the University Residences website
- Web Design: Creating graphics (banners, buttons, icons, etc.) for the ResTek and University Residences websites, implementing these through HTML and CSS
- Website Maintenance: Occasionally updating pages, re-organizing content, working with HTML and CSS, navigating servers
- Print Design: Includes brochures, posters, flyers/signs, etc. in both color and black & white for University Residences programs and operations
- Provide support to ResTek staff creating web content, including formatting text for use on website
- Adhere to WWU branding guidelines
- Project management and graphic file organization
- Other duties as assigned
Term of position and training
During the academic year you will work 15-19 hours per week while classes are in session. Must be available to work during summer for at least 20 hours per week. (Enrollment in summer classes is not required, and on-campus housing is available at a discounted rate during summer.) Paid training is provided. Current hourly wage is $14.39 for both work-study and non-work-study students. The Web & Graphic Designer reports to the ResTek Program Coordinator.
The Fine Print
- Must maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average
- Must maintain a minimum of ten (10) credits per quarter for undergraduates (8 credits for graduate students) during the entire duration of employment
- Special consideration will be given to applicants who have 2 or more years of study left to complete at Western.
Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
Western Washington University does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, WWU, Old Main 345, MS 9021, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360-650-3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com.
Contact Howard Muhlberg at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (360) 650-3289.