This is not your typical college job. We hire great people, give them a high degree of trust and autonomy, and get great results. This job prepares you directly for the workplace after you leave Western and puts you miles ahead of other new grads. Our former employees are sought after and highly valued.
You will help design and build new applications while maintaining and improving legacy software.
You will learn new technologies and advance your skills as a part of your job responsibilities, and will have opportunities to specialize in areas of interest.
Our team is intensely customer-focused, so we interact closely with our clients to ensure that our efforts best address their needs. Across the ResTek staff, we handle all aspects of a project, including feasibility analysis, needs assessment, design and prototyping, coding, graphic design, testing, troubleshooting, and usability reviews.
What we are looking for
- You are self-motivated and passionate about technology
- You are reliable and communicate well, both formally and informally.
- You understand HTML, CSS, client-side code, server-side code, and how they all interact
- You have some working knowledge of databases
- If you have a working knowledge of Docker and/or Azure, that is a bonus
- You solve problems independently and know when to ask questions
- You can be trusted to work ethically with sensitive data and important systems
- You can make this job a priority for 15-19 hours per week during the academic year.
- You can commit to working full-time over the summer.
- You intend to be enrolled for at least five more quarters. (Summer enrollment is not required if you hired and enrolled before summer.)
You will gain
The more skills and professionalism you bring to the job, the better. But, if you come with a good foundation, a positive attitude, and a strong work ethic, we can help provide the experience and skills that will help propel you forward on your career path. Working with us, you will gain:
- Real-world experience working as part of a professional team on projects essential to operations
- Exposure to Agile and other project management methodologies
- A firm grasp on asynchronous programming and REST
- A solid understanding of modern web technology
- SQL proficiency and a firm understanding of relational database concepts, as well as some exposure to NoSQL
- Opportunities to work directly with clients
- An excellent working knowledge of Git version control concepts and workflows
- The benefit of receiving regular code reviews and constructive and supportive peer feedback
- Experience weighing critical decisions that balance project requirements, long-term maintainability, performance, cost, and personal preferences to determine the best strategy
The Fine Print
Hourly wage is $14.39 per hour, and paid training starts immediately upon hire. Must be available to work 15–19 hours per week during the academic year and preference may be given to candidates who are available to work at least 20 hours per week during the summer. (Enrollment in summer classes is not required.) Must be enrolled at least through Winter 2021. You must maintain a 2.00 cumulative GPA minimum and be taking at least 10 credits (8 for graduate students) during employment. Preference given to applicants who live or have lived on campus. On-campus housing is available at a discounted rate during summer.
Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
Western Washington University does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, WWU, Old Main 345, MS 9021, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360-650-3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Mary Foster at email@example.com, or call 360-650-3289.