ResTek’s Server Administrators are responsible for maintaining the servers that support the University Residences department and the network in the residence halls. ResTek manages a network of over 7,000 nodes, safeguards the web presence of University Residences, and provides many critical web applications that a range of students and staff use every day.
Server Administrators have the unique opportunity to lead their colleagues into the forefront of modern technology practices, without losing sight of the quest for 100% uptime and excellent service to our residents. Our Server Administrators foster their own specialties and niches while engaging in collaborative teamwork on projects.
While nearly all of the skills essential for Server Administrators can be learned on the job, the strongest candidates often have a passion for understanding, explaining, and creating complex, maintainable systems, and a great respect for fulfilling commitments.
Am I Qualified?
We’re looking for someone with experience working with some of these things, but on-the-job training is a large part of the position. If you meet most of the following criteria, you should definitely apply.
- Experience working with UNIX-like systems (e.g. Linux, BSD)
- Motivated to learn new things independently
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment effectively
- Understanding of common network protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS)
- Understanding of network configurations and architectures
- Willingness and availability to have a flexible, on-call schedule for the duration of employment
- Intending to enroll at Western at least through the end of Spring Quarter 2021
Additionally, experience or knowledge of any of the following is a plus:
- Public cloud providers (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Software development
- Network security practices
- Virtual machine and/or container management
- Active management of a multi-user system
- Basic database experience (e.g. MySQL, Postgres, SQLite, MongoDB, etc.)
- Experience troubleshooting and fixing complex issues while retaining uptime
We know at least a few of you are curious about our current setup, so here is a list of some of the tools we currently use.
- Our servers use FreeBSD and Debian.
- Nagios, Logstash, and Icinga2 are used for network monitoring.
- HP iLo is used for out-of-band management.
- Node.js, Python, Django, Bottle, Postgres, Apache, Nginx, uwsgi, and git are at the core of our development environment.
- We host a number of open source web application installations such as WordPress, Drupal, and DokuWiki.
- DNS, DHCP, LDAP, and RADIUS are a few of our critical services.
- We use Python, shell scripts, and Puppet for configuration management and server automation.
- VMware vSphere, Proxmox, and Docker host parts of our infrastructure, in addition to physical machines and cloud providers.
Must be available to work 15-19 hours per week during the academic year and at least 20 hours per week during the summer. Hourly wage is $14.78 per hour for both work-study and non-work study students. You must maintain a 2.00 GPA minimum during employment, and be taking at least 10 credits (8 for graduates). Preference is given to on-campus residents and to those intending to enroll at WWU through the 2020-2021 academic year. Summer on-campus housing is available at a discounted rate.
Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
Western Washington University does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, WWU, Old Main 345, MS 9021, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360-650-3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact Howard Muhlberg at email@example.com, or (360) 650-3289.