ResTek Consultants provide instruction and assistance to students living on campus in the form of room visits, phone, and email communications. ResTek focuses on network/Internet connection issues, responsible network use, cable TV and IPTV support. Consultants work a flexible schedule, with an emphasis on educating students about their technology so that they may solve future problems.
- Troubleshoot resident wired and wireless connections to our network for a wide variety of devices
- Troubleshoot cable TV and IPTV issues
- Assist and educate residents in a one-on-one environment, by phone, email, or visiting the resident’s room
- Work independently under limited supervision
- Work in a group environment where everyone contributes their individual talents to accomplish the group’s goals
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and training
- Other tasks and projects as assigned
Term of position and training
The Consultant position offers paid training and work through the remainder of the academic year, with opportunities to remain on staff until graduation from Western. Staffing levels are regularly reassessed and based on need throughout the year.
Important Note: All Consultants must be able to be in Bellingham to start Fall Quarter work on the Wednesday one week before the first day of class, in order to participate in training prior to the opening of the residence halls for Fall Quarter. Training takes place everyday, through midday Saturday, and then Consultants must be able to work Sunday and beyond. If you plan to live on campus or in Birnam Wood, we will make arrangements for you to be able to move into your room early.
Wage and Hours
The Consultant wage is $13.99 per hour. Consultants report to the ResTek Program Coordinator. Hours vary between 10-19 per week during the academic year, with the possibility of up to 40 hours per week in the summer, through the end of the first week of school.
Important Note: At least one of the Consultants we hire MUST be planning on living in Bellingham for Summer 2019 and willing/able to work 20-40 hours per week. We do offer a greatly reduced rate — approximately $150 per month — for living in our Birnam Wood Apartments for the summer; a subsidy that can help students afford to stay and work in Bellingham and commit to working for ResTek.
ResTek is interested in applicants who are willing to learn, to help their fellow students, and
- Highly motivated individual
- Ability to problem solve independently and/or through collaboration with colleagues
- Live on campus (preferred)
- Ability to communicate professionally, clearly, and with accurate detail via phone, in writing, and in person
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment both efficiently and courteously
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn):
- Windows, Mac, Chrome, iOS, Android operating systems and network connectivity
- Wireless security and standards such as 802.1x
- Command line functions for troubleshooting network connectivity
- Web Browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) configuration and troubleshooting
- Configuration and troubleshooting of ethernet and wireless adapters, and wireless routers
- Malware detection and protection
- Cable TV and SmartTV setup and troubleshooting
- Connectivity and troubleshooting of online games and consoles
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA during employment
- Maintain ten (10) credits per quarter for undergraduate students, eight (8) for graduate students.
- Intending to enroll at Western for the next two years
Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action
Western Washington University does not discriminate in its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information. Inquiries may be directed to the Vice Provost for Equal Opportunity & Employment Diversity, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Equal Opportunity Office, WWU, Old Main 345, MS 9021, 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360-650-3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com.
Contact Howard Muhlberg at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (360) 650-3289.